Saturday, January 05, 2013

Tannus Musai first ride

I know I said I'd wait until the 500km mark for a review but I thought I'd write a first impression post. So here goes.

The look: apart from the lack of a valve stem (and the fact I'd got crazy colours) you would be hard pressed to tell that the tyres were any different. There is the obvious lack of valve stem but I have enough trouble finding the valve when I need to pump up tyres.

The ride: I was a but worried for the first few km. Not because of how they felt but of a weird noise they made, sort of like my rim had a kink and was rubbing on the brakes every wheel revolution. Fortunately after about 20km the noise was gone, obviously a nob or something similar from the moulding when the tyre was made.
For a solid tyre they feel remarkably similar to a normal tube tyre. They actually are a little nicer over rough surfaces tending to smooth them over a little more. Bigger bumps though you do feel a little more, probably because they can't compress as much as a tube filled with air could. The ride is by no means unpleasant and I think if you hopped on the bike you wouldn't really notice until someone told you.
They gripped very well, maybe even as well as the gatorskin tyres that were on previously. I threw the bike into some corners relatively hard and it never felt near their limit. They actually make an almost suction cup sound as your roll making it at least sound grippy.

This comes to the only real downside of the tyre. Rolling resistance. Something they seem to have a fair bit of. Comparing the effort on the ride today was a lot more than a similar one a few weeks ago. I took the power meter with me and the power and hr was a lot higher for the same loop at a slightly slower speed. While it could be just having a bad day rolling down the slightest down hill my riding partner consistently pulled away at some speed with both of us freewheeling. I have the soft version which is supposed to mimic 95psi so it would interesting to see if the hard version lessened the rolling resistance.

The extra rolling resistance is a small price to pay for the guarantee of no flats. My riding partner even had a flat on the ride this morning. I rode in the shoulders covered with glass just because I could and there is never any worry about a puncture or a cut which is quite nice. I didn't take a pump or co2 or even tyre levers today which was quite liberating.

They will never be a race tyre but as a training tyre you never have to worry about they are perfect. A bit heavier and a bit slower on the roll but that's not a bad thing for training. I'm almost considering replacing the Gatorskins on my Sunday club bike with the Tannus Musai when they wear out. As a commuter tyre they are perfect. Speed isn't a concern but never having to worry about checking tyre pressure or if you'll get stranded is ideal.

So on first impression the tyres are everything you could ask for at the small sacrifice of some extra rolling resistance. Only time will tell if they keep going this way.





8 comments:

paulk_asert said...

What was it look to fit them?

Unknown said...

To be honest I don't know. I had them fitted by Avanti Plus North Brisbane, who was the only place I could find who actually stocked them. They said the first couple were quite hard and it took them a few goes to get it. Now they can do them in about 20 mins. They are supposed to last 30,000km so I can't see me needed to have it done again before the wheels wear out. :)

Unknown said...

how much did they cost?

Unknown said...

They cost $77 each, which is pretty reasonable even if they only last 1/3 of their advertised 30,000km milage.

I think I'll be replacing the wheels before the tyres.

Ray ( Perth ). said...

Questions, questions.

Was the $77 for each one also did it include fitting ? The tread looks definitely shallow and the tyre seems narrow;no good for MTB or BMX ? They appear to be low-profile, safe for sharp cornering ?

Hmmm, all seems to say for Suburban riding only ?

Unknown said...

Ray,

Was the $77 for each one also did it include fitting ?
Yes Avanti fitted the tyres for that price but I don't know if that is just a shop thing

The tread looks definitely shallow and the tyre seems narrow;no good for MTB or BMX ?
That's right, the ones I got are a 700x23 tyre really only good for road use. They did have MTB versions though with more traditional Stubbly MTB tread

They appear to be low-profile, safe for sharp cornering ?
They were fine on one of the sharp downhill corners on my regular ride at around 40km/h http://app.strava.com/activities/35858251#581685463

Hmmm, all seems to say for Suburban riding only ?
Definitely Suburban (although I have taken them on a 100m dirt stretch), but they do seem to make more off road options. They did have a 700x32 option that was more like a cyclocross tyre but it didn't fit on my frame.

Deemo said...

I bought some on eBay for $77 each and fitted them myself. Took about 40 minutes per tyre. The tool and pins are all included. The first one took some work. On teh second tyre I locked in a couple of pins and then stretched the tyre around the rim to get it on. Made it heaps easier.

Been riding on my commuter bike for a week and am very impressed so far!

Unknown said...

By performing History test we can attract youngsters to the world of history.Looking for the "spray and pray" mind-set will get tedious really quickly, which is why you need to create use of the Invisible Gamepad have fun with this activity without any restrictions.

Buy WOW Gold  RS Gold  Buy Diablo 3 Gold